[plug] ATA thru Parport driver

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Jul 23 13:16:11 WST 1999

G'day all
Here is a curly one...
Would it be possible to interface an ATA hard disk via the Parport driver,
with little or no modification to the drivers ?
I'm not to clued up on the parport driver or the specs for the various ata
devices supported, but I know enough about the ATA spec and hardware interfacing
to be able to knock up a driver interface if I could get some info on how they
communicate......
Before I do some serious kernel source diggin, I thought I'd tap the brain pool
in here first.....
It'd be great to be able to plug a 10 gig HD... or thereabouts into the parallel
port and just load up a module to get it into the system...
Given the price of 18Gig Fireball's these days.. easy (SLOW) removable mass storage
that's easily transportable.....

Again.. any information gained and/or product designed will be shared willingly..
I figure I need a very fast uController to handle the protocol translations..
But this I can do..

Any Input from those that may be in the know ?

Cheers.......
Brad.....