[plug] Offtopic :RACKS

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Sun Jul 25 18:57:55 WST 1999

Len Bird wrote:
> Leon Brooks wrote:
>> James Dean wrote:
>>> Does anyone know where in Perth
>>> I can Source racks and rackmount
>>> ATX cases?

>> Auctions.

> Any number of Electronic/Computer shops have these items: HOWEVER be
> warned, that no two brands of rack seem to be compatible with one
> another. Either the plastic case profiles are incompatible or the
> Centronics connectors will not line up, and one instance I found that
> one such used the opposite gender of connector!!

Uh, I presumed he was talking about 19-inch equipment racks, rather than
the little hard drive caddies. You can buy an old PDP-11 for $50-$100,
and throw away the '11 (or better still, run it without the rack, the
old versions of Hack (rogue-like) and Empire are good, your children
will enjoy it and the '11 will probably outlast any PC you buy by a
factor of at least 10) and just use the rack.