[plug] exchangable disks with Linux

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue Jul 27 12:04:37 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> > > What I'm getting at is they are all MUCH more fragile than a bog stock, che
> > ap Quantum Fireball in
> > > a removable carrier...
> >
> > Hmmmm, that's not the experience I've had... I've used both removable HDD's,
> > and Jaz media a lot, and Jaz are MUCH more shock-proof. I've lost HDD data,
> > and whole disks from accidental bumps, etc, while I've dropped a Jaz from
> >

> If you want to unplug a HDD, perhaps you should consider the more robust
> (and more expensive) notebook models.

I have had great experience with all the Quantum Fireball models..
I have a TM3200 (the first fireball) in my machine here, that has been carted
to and from work every day for the last 2.5 years.. Not a sign of a bad sector.
Doing the same to a brand new maxtor trashed it in 2 weeks...
I also have a 7.something gig Fireball EL (the first one with SPS) doing the
same thing, and no errors in the 12 months or so I have had that...

BUT, my SyJet carts started to lose data after 3 months of gentler treatment
than the Fireballs were recieving...

More fuel to the fire...
Brad.