[plug] Word Wrapping - Was - re: User names

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 28 17:53:06 WST 1999

From: bk <bk at bofh.ns.ca

> So microsoft gives you no choice but to use their email client? The user
> makes choice, not the OS.

I *chose* to use MickeySoft, it *choses* to handle long lines properly.

> > I've used and rejected Eudora thanks.  My Linux server isn't (yet) my
> And you haven't rejected windows yet, too, I gather?

No, I haven't, why should I ?

> > gateway
> > to the net, so that isn't an option either. Even if it was, Netscape
> > wouldn't be
> > my first choice - I'd far rather use elm!
>
> I was reluctant to change from elm (because it is installed as per default
> on everyone's machine so reading mail wouldn't be a hassle). mutt works
> much better than elm and it's free.

elm replacements are somewhere on my list when the Linux box takes the
internet connection job.

> > Basically, I think that for consistancy, the client end should be able
> > handle
> > over length lines without trauma (there agin, I've *always* felt that
about
> > mail, news etc).
>
> So we should be compliant to windows?

No, just compliant with RFC821 (lines in a mail message can be up to 1000
characters long).

> I'm starting to wonder why the hell do we have the CR key. Imagine C code
> without CRs, that would be lovely to read and interpret.

Agreed, however, C and mail messages are hardly the same thing.

Paul