[plug] Word Wrapping - Was - re: User names

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 19:53:56 WST 1999

Paul Wilson wrote:

> > I'm starting to wonder why the hell do we have the CR key. Imagine C code
> > without CRs, that would be lovely to read and interpret.
>
> Agreed, however, C and mail messages are hardly the same thing.

We have the CR to put in paragraph breaks and the like. Why do we need
hard-CR's in E-Mail messages?? Because some mail readers don't wrap
them, because it wasn't always like that. For text intended to be read,
such as letters, documents, web-pages, it works best if text auto-wraps;
the User says where it wraps, by choosing their page/window dimensions.

It's all up to what editor you use, what email client you use, etc, and
I don't think people will ever agree on the topic. ^_^

For the record, I use Netscape (Communicator) for E-Mail, but if I want,
I can use Pine, Pegasus, or a web browser (or, heaven forbid, Outlook!)
from wherever I may be. Long live IMAP! Down with POP! ^_^

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :