[plug] linux tutor

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Jul 29 07:22:28 WST 1999

> Grant Heazlewood wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know anyone who tutors in Linux, I steadily losing my grip
> > after reading mountains of documentation and having little success with
> > simple tasks such as networking linux and windows boxes etc.
> >
> > Grant
>
> The other day I received an invitation from some kind hearted soul to
> attend a short seminar on some nebulous aspects of M$ NT4.  The best part
> was that it had been discounted to a mere $1950:00c or thereabouts!

and if it improves performance of a $40 000 employee by as little as 10%,
it's good value.

The objective of these courses is to earn money, and preparing &
presenting them is expensive.

I know it's not a lot of consolation to those of us looking for cheap
training: the reality is that businesses must turn a profit: otherwise
they don't remain businesses.

If someone wants a reasonable return on their time, they have to charge
enormous up-front mounts, like that $2000, ro cover the time in preparing
the course. In the case of the course I mentioned, I knew the subject
well, but still spent almost a week beforehand learning the course itself:
even that was a modest amount of time.

It is true that had I presented the course more than once, I'd have
amortised my time; it's also true that it was a course IBM used a lot, but
still those fees have to cover the venue costs, the equipment (everyone
had a PC, and although I didn't have to install the software, I might have
needed to).

--
Cheers
John Summerfield