[plug] linux tutor

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 28 15:24:50 WST 1999

Grant Heazlewood wrote:

> Does anyone know anyone who tutors in Linux, I steadily losing my grip
> after reading mountains of documentation and having little success with
> simple tasks such as networking linux and windows boxes etc.
>
> Grant

The other day I received an invitation from some kind hearted soul to
attend a short seminar on some nebulous aspects of M$ NT4.  The best part
was that it had been discounted to a mere $1950:00c or thereabouts!

One of the more compelling arguments in favour of Linux is that it is
basically free. The main problem with it is that although installation
presents little difficulty the problems start when you actually try to get
an application to run. As Grant Hazlewood remarks there is no lack of
documentation both electronic and physical, the difficulty is in being
able to sort out the wheat from the chaff.  I take the view that there is
perhaps altogether far too much  documentation from the point of view of
the tyro.  The next problem relates to my first paragraph above. Obviously
Linux has a major commercial application, and the potential commercial
users can and should be prepared to pay something toward the cost of
tutition.  If you have the time and inclination no doubt you can get a
full time course at a tertiary education facility, but for the increasing
number of converts to the new religion, for whom computing is at best a
hobby, cost is a consideration, and if they are to be properly encouraged
they need to be able to get a one on one cram session now and then to
solve the miriad of probllems.  I have passed the three score years and
ten these days, and can assure you that the munificence of the
D.S.S./Centrepoint does not run to expensive tution.

Anything that will address this problem would I feel sure be welcomed by
any number of new chums like myself. It  is necessary to have a few
volunteers to make their time available in the localities where they
reside. I would envisage small groups of not more than three or four at a
time at weekends or similar convenient times.

Finally, will anyone care to put their hands up for the cause they
stridently profess to support?

Kind regards to all,

Len Bird