[plug] Time & Task Management Tool

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 10:02:15 WST 1999

Andrew McMeikan wrote:

> Hi Trev,
>         sounds like a handy thing to have, I might make myself a rough one
> based on a bit of CGI and let you know if its hard.  Ideally it would
> be a java app; but its been too long since I have done that.  If you dont
> hear back it was too hard ;)  There are comercial products for web/UNIX
> that will do this, I suspect they will be overkill.

Ummmmm. Can you explain "Ideally it would be a java app" ?? As in
Applet??

<RANT>
<SEINFELD>What is the deal with those Java applets? I mean, is this sort
of thing necessary?</SEINFELD>
<DISCLAIMER>Personally, I can't stand Seinfeld. ^_^</DISCLAIMER>

Ok, my experience with Java applets has been coloured. No, I haven't
written any myself, tho I've had a 5 minute look at some source and got
rather lost...

As a user, I've had no end of problems with Applets, and I suspect it's
still the #1 cause of Netscape under Linux crashing (far less crashes
when Java is disabled).

And for some applications, such as the tool I described, I can't really
see any advantage of Java over a good CGI with maybe some minimal
JavaScript to enhance it for those with JS browsers...
</RANT>

(Ok, so I'm a Perl Advocate; I've yet to have someone demonstrate
advantages of writing Web apps in anything else; server- or client-side.
^_^;;)

Concerning the app, it WOULD be really handy to have! And I've been
meaning to write one for aaaages! Unfortunately, I really don't have the
time, and I can't get work to let me do it during work hours, as I have
too many other things to do. ^_^;;

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :