[plug] display

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Jun 1 08:27:29 WST 1999

> Hi all,
> 	I recently got sick of turning the monitor on in my computer room
> just to see if my gateway/server was fully shutdown or not, just so I
> could turn it all off again.  Having some vacuum fluorescent displays
> lying around, I thought it would be a good status display.  If anyone is
> desperately after one, I'm sure I can take small donations in exchange :)
>  at the moment I have it using the parallel port, and feeding 5volts from
> a separate supply.  I have attached the code in case anyone can think of a
> better way (ie. games port has power out, but does it have 3 outgoing TTL
> lines?)

USB ports are powered.

I presume on that machine you don't care much for the speaker: you could
connect that output to a display and play sounds all the time it's up.

If you need power, there's an unused CPU fan connector on many M/Bs or you
can tap into the wiring with an a appropriate adaptor or maybe connect to
a spare floppy power connector.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield