Java and Perl (was Re: [plug] Time & Task Management Tool)

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jun 3 11:32:29 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> Java is on more platforms. While I can get perl for OS/2 and winders for
> example, they don't ship with perl. However, java's in every more-or-less
> current browser.

That's part of the problem I see. Java is in most browsers, sure, but a
Perl server-side application doesn't require something like Java
server-side. As such, you can write an application that is server-side,
which will work on even MORE browsers, even down to text-based Lynx,
which can't even do images let alone Java (due to its text-based
nature).

> Java runs on the client machine: data needn't be formatted with all that
> html, and web pages using java can result in reduced bandwidth.

HTML is just a way of formatting the data; the data itself is rarely
HTML-enriched. And I'm sure you have to do a different data call or
options to get Bold text over normal text. ^_^

> Java runs on the client machine. It can do preliminary data validation
> (Did you REALLY work 25 hours last Sunday?) before sending it off to the
> host.

*nod* I think client processing is handy; I just don't like requiring
such support. I'm a semi-big advocate of backwards compatability with
the lowest denominator. Catering to the Feature-impaired doesn't mean
you can't have enhanced features for those that DO support it.

> Java can produce applications (not just applets) with a MUCH nicer user
> interface than perl can.

But with more work involved.

> Java is MUCH better at drawing charts than perl is.

Hmmm. Not necessarily. Perl can talk to a myriad of graphics libraries
for image generation. A few common ones that spring to mind are the Gif
lib (GD?), the ImageMagick libs, and Gimp (yes, a Perl CGI with the
graphics power of Gimp is truly scary!! ^_^)

As I see it for Java:

Advantages:
  - Complete customisability of interface
  - Client-side processing & checking means faster feedback to the user
  - Cross-platform compatability

Disadvantages:
  - Steep learning curve
  - Many hoops to jump through to do things
  - Pesky "downloading Java applet" time (for proper applications)
  - Requirement for Java; and it's NOT the same per platform, not just
for stability. A recent example was the StarWars Asciimation; looked
fine under Windows Netscape, but Linux Netscape had the output squashed
and upset the "frames".

And for Perl:

Advantages:
  - Easy to pick up language
  - Great module expandability and availability - simple to write
complex apps based on existing modules
  - Easy interface to C libraries available (eg; Do databases (Oracle,
MySQL, etc ...), do graphics (via GD/PerlMagick/Gimp libs), etc ...)
  - NO client-dependency means one machine needs Perl (the server)
  - Allows greater server control through expanding Apache server
functionality (eg; customisable SSI's, logging methods, authentication,
etc ...)

Disadvantages:
  - Server-side means any app update involves client-server
communication (tho can be reduced using minimal JavaScript)

Hmmm. I think that about covers it!! ^_^
Note: This is my view, and my opinion. I use Perl a LOT, and my Java
development experience is minimal. I would be greatly interested to see
what other people think, esp if there's someone who has used both Perl
and Java a lot for large applications (as in not just small cgi's).

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :