[plug] Time & Task Management Tool

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Jun 3 08:25:54 WST 1999

> Andrew McMeikan wrote:
> >
> > Hi Trev,
> >         Ok, so you don't like Java, I tend to think its a nice way of
> > having the same app over diverse machines,  Java-script can probably do
> > enough client side validation if thats more to your liking.  If you want
>
> No no no. I can see how one binary working on multi-platforms is great!
> (That's one of the reasons I primarily code in Perl!) Just on the
> practicality side I've had apps crashes, and on the coding side, I
> didn't get into it, and couldn't see many advantages...
>
> So, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how wonderful Java is for
> writing code. Or do I have to pass an initiation and swear oaths before
> I can be part of the Java movement. ^_^

Java is on more platforms. While I can get perl for OS/2 and winders for
example, they don't ship with perl. However, java's in every more-or-less
current browser.

Java runs on the client machine: data needn't be formatted with all that
html, and web pages using java can result in reduced bandwidth.

Java runs on the client machine. It can do preliminary data validation
(Did you REALLY work 25 hours last Sunday?) before sending it off to the
host.

Java can produce applications (not just applets) with a MUCH nicer user
interface than perl can.

Java is MUCH better at drawing charts than perl is.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield