Java and Perl (was Re: [plug] Time & Task Management Tool)

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 3 23:47:42 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 6/3/99, 6:00:59 PM, Trevor Phillips <phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au>
wrote regarding Re: Java and Perl (was Re: [plug] Time & Task Management
Tool):

Trevor, with this having headed the way it has, into a debate over
whether it should use Java, Perl, or JavaScript, here are a few
thoughts.

I have disabled java, on my M$ windows browsers, due to my having read
that that should reduce being stuffed around by applets being
inflicted on me. I believe that I am not the only one, or, one of only
a few that would have done this, for this reason.

Also, from what I understand (courtesy of Data Comms security
lectures), a threat comes from "mobile code", that appears to be what
java applets are. I may be completely wrong in my understanding, but
the rule appears to be, better safe than sorry. Thus, also, I avoid
the use of java, in browsers.

In terms of javascript, this causes many problems,for browsers that
are not javascript enabled. On Linux, I use the Star Office browser,
when I can, as I use Star Office for other things, simultaneously,
like my email application, and the word processor, and my Star Office
browser is not able to be javascript enabled, as far as I know. This
means that I have been unable to fully use the WebCT web site at
Murdoch Uni, as it involves javascript. I have to close down Star
Office, and run Netscape, to use the WebCt site, if I want to access
the site during a Linux session. Otherwise, I have to reboot into
windows, and use IE4.

Thus, javascript is limiting.

The extent of the limiting, is probably better demonstrated, by
referring to the ANZ Internet banking site, which uses javascript
heavily, and can only be fully used, by running IE4 or IE5, according
to the ANZ staff. MacOS, Linux, and any OS apart from M$windows, is
not supported by that facility. IE is the only browser that can
reliably use the facility.

Thus, I would write off javascript as a web front end, for any
application, unless the aim is to limit access, to M$ operating
systems, and to IE4 and IE5.

That leaves Perl, as the only viable option, from the options that you
have mentioned.