[plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration

Christian christian at global.net.au
Fri Jun 4 11:47:00 WST 1999

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> Excuse me??? You're seriously considering not writing your thesis in
> LaTeX? They _let_ you write in something else? How quaint.
> Just use LaTeX. It really is the only choice. Sure, for a brief letter
> now and then or something, it ain't worth learning, but if you're writing
> a whole thesis, then you want to have something that looks professional at
> the end, and you don't want to have to fight with a word processor to do
> it. Just use LaTeX, you won't regret learning it.

After such a strong response from so many people I guess I have no
option other than to give the thing a look. :)  I upgraded tetex on a
couple of my machines and also downloaded LyX.  The impression I get
from the basic LaTeX docs I've read so far (thanks to Bret for the loan
of the book) is that it's very much like hand-coding HTML - which I
dislike only marginally less than using some poxy generator.  I can't
honestly see myself writing 80 pages of thesis in a text editor and
embedding in the necessary markup codes to make it look a certain way.
Not because of learning the new "language" but simply because I would be
spending more time thinking about how it was going to look and I would
be distracted from what I was really trying to say.

But LyX looks like it might have potential.  I very much dislike their
choice of GUI toolkit but if it can give me some sort of WYSISYG
front-end to TeX's power then that will probably be an acceptable
compromise.  I'm not sure how it goes with handling images but I guess
I'll have a play around with that and see.  I believe there's also a
KLyx but I don't have KDE (and don't really want it) and plus it seems
to be based upon some pre-historic version of LyX.

Further suggestions/comments/derision are welcomed. :)

> What is your thesis on,
> anyway? Thesis-obsessed minds wish to know. :)

It's basically looking at the approaches taken to security at the
various software development phases.  I'm submitting the proposal on
Tuesday. :)

Regards,

Christian.