[plug] Word Processors (was Star Office and 5.1 and the registration

Rob Potter potter at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jun 7 11:01:28 WST 1999

At 12:03  5/06/99 +0800, you wrote:
>Peter Wright wrote:
>>
>> Ahh, but that's where you've missed the point, albeit slightly :).
>> You're not supposed to think too much about how it's going to look - just
>> concentrate on the writing and the structure of said writing.
>
>Ahhh... I begin to see what you mean. :)  I spent a few hours playing
>with LyX and working through the tutorial and the concept of not
>thinking about how things are going to look but merely telling the
>computer what they represent and letting it do the rest has definitely
>begun to appeal to me. :)

At last!  I've been trying to remind my students that content is what they
should be going for (and to forget presentation until the final version)
for the last 5 years!  I personally still use WordPerfect 5.1 - the most
powerful text basher on the market and as it runs in 530K RAM I'm sure I
can get it running in a DOS window in anything.  My entire PhD thesis (200
plus pages) is just 250K and my wife used it for her Thesis - full contents
and indexing etc. in about 750K  The average Honours Thesis in Word is
running at about 5MB at the moment.

This is not really a push for any one particular WP, just a plea for people
to consider content!

Rob
Dr Rob Potter
WA State Ag Biotech Centre