Linux virus (was RE: [plug] Windows Briefing)

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Fri Jun 11 16:27:42 WST 1999

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Denis Brown wrote:

> On a Linux-related note, I have often heard that Linux/Unix is immune to
> viruses but often wondered "by what mechanism?"  Sure a prog. can only do
> damage in user space if the machine's buttoned up so it can't get root
> access, but there would still be damage, no?  Could someone enlighten me,
> please?

Sure it is possible for someone to write a Linux virus, and it can destroy
your home directory if it wants to, but most Linux users are smart enough
not to run any software they don't have source for, and know to avoid
running anything as root.

That doesn't mean it's not possible. Someone wrote a linux-specific virus
just to see if he could, but (according to him) did not mean to release it
into the world.  Someone else did, but it didn't get very far.
(This would be the "Bliss" virus - it does no harm, and is easy to detect
and remove, in it's current incarnation. But someone could easily modify
it to do worse)

 - Matt