Linux virus (was RE: [plug] Windows Briefing)

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Fri Jun 11 16:37:43 WST 1999

Denis Brown wrote:

> On a Linux-related note, I have often heard that Linux/Unix is immune to
> viruses but often wondered "by what mechanism?"  Sure a prog. can only do
> damage in user space if the machine's buttoned up so it can't get root
> access, but there would still be damage, no?  Could someone enlighten me,
> please?
>
> Cheers,
> Denis
On a typical linux/unix type platform I would of thought that there are
even more 'hooks' for virus's to do their work. However, at least
initially any user process will only run with the permissions of the
user who started that process. In the Windows family of os's everything
really runs as user 'root' so any operating system issue such as writes
to kernel space or io ports, etc can be done there and then. Its a bit
difficult to compare potential linux virus's with those on the Windows
os's as I am not aware of any linux virus's. I dont think that linux
would be immune though.

Garth