[plug] Security

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Wed Jun 16 12:21:58 WST 1999

Hi All,

In an effort to be productive while procrastinating (exam today that I
can't get motivated about studying for) I was having a wander thru my
sys logs and discovered that there have been a couple of attempts to
connect to my box. Silly me thought that mostt hings would be OK sitting
behind an ISP for protection.

The attempted connects were from telnet, finger, imap and pop-3. I've
been through inetd.conf now and commented out the telnet, ftp and gopher
bits as well as the pop and imap services to be a little more secure. I
don't need these services as the machine is not connected to a network,
I just use it as a workstation and for dial-up net access.

What other signs for attack should I be protecting against and how do I
be more secure in future?

I don't think the attacks have been successful. The secure log showed
the connection attempts but no login sessions were granted so I think
it's OK for now.

Cheers,
Damion.

--