[plug] Quake 2 - Different problem

marks at fs.com.au marks at fs.com.au
Wed Jun 16 14:03:57 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Matt Kemner wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> >
> > > But NO MOUSE CONTROL!! (Basically rendering multiplayer unplayable. -_^)
>
> Killing gpm will fix that.
>
> > Try changing your gpm config so that you pass it the -R option, then check
>
> How do I get a list of quake2 command line options? Nothing in the README.
> Bad options dont give a usage. I cant find help on the quake2 console

Anything you can do from the console you can do from the command line... You
can set variables and run commands, eg:

./quake2 +set dedicated 1 +set fraglimit 20 +map q2dm1

will set the fraglimit variable to 20, set dedicated to 1 (deathmatch server,
don't switch to graphics) and run the map command with q2dm1.... To get a list
of commands on the console type:

cmdlist

and to get a list of variables type:

cvarlist

If you want a list of what they mean try looking at http://www.planetquake.com,
I'm pretty sure they have a variable and command list...

> Doesnt quake2 use libvga?? I tried setting mdev to /dev/gpmdata, but
> quake2 just locked my console and sucked all the cpu. Had to telnet in.
>
> > The same setup works great for X too, which refuses to use my third button
> > when it talks to the mouse directly, but is quite happy to use it when
> > talking via gpm.
>
> My 3-button serial mouse (msc protocol) has always worked fine,
> including under X with gpm running.

The only way I could get my mouse warking was to kill gpm, but I didn't
actually try anything else :)

The 3rd button worked straight away...

Mark