[plug] HELP::a funny thing happened on the way to the kernel....

root brad at seme.com.au
Thu Jun 17 16:10:01 WST 1999

CyberDynamiX wrote:

> hi there guru's...
>                       i recentley upgraded my kernel with what seemed no
> probs.. Ive been printing from
> word perfect no probs and had been printing from Netscape and star office
> before the upgrade...
> however now i cqant print from star office and netscape..the print tool in
> red hat is ok andtest pages all three are fine....
> But netscape cant find the printer and neither can star office...
> what changed (rather sdurprisingly) was that it is now lp0 and the lpr
> command has become redundant
> the printcap seems ok and it is in so far as redhat native stuff prints ok
> but kde and other apps excepting WP are not getting the command ..ive tried
> reinstalling the kernel..the printer..chaning the line etc...
> the spool dir in print cap is
> /var/spool/lpd/lp0
> and
> lp=/dev/lp0
>
> any idea's????????????????????????//
> regardz dez

Sounds very much like you upgraded from a 2.0 to a 2.2,
You will find differences in the way 2.2 alocates lpt ports.... a PITA until you
read the docs and figure it out.
Make sure you adjust your /etc/printcap and lpc status tells you all is well,
Netscape uses lpr to print, so I assume the lpd is not seeing the printer.
Also, have you verified that lp0 is there and useable? I got caught by this by compiling
lp support as a module. For some reason I can get parport to autoload, and parport probe loads,
but it does not automaticly load lp.o
I just fixed it by loading lp in /etc/modules, might as well have compiled it in really, given
the machine is a print server.
Sometimes I feel a little silly at some of the stupid things I do when configuring kernels ;p)

I suggest you hunt down the problem with lpd, this will make lpr work and then the rest should
follow.

Regards