[plug] HELP::a funny thing happened on the way to the kernel....

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Thu Jun 17 16:46:01 WST 1999

> lp support as a module. For some reason I can get parport to autoload, and parport probe loads,
> but it does not automaticly load lp.o

*run and hide*

Umm... I may of been responsible for inflicting parport on the linux
kernel but I was not responsible for spliting the port access
routines out (parport_pc and friends). The module dependancies are a
little "skewed" because of this, here is a quick explanation why:

parport    module is responsible for parallel port sharing.
parport_pc module is responsible for detection PC style parallel ports

lp module depends on the parport module
parport_pc module depends on the parport module
parport module does NOT depend on parport_pc module

There is an alias in the module symbols (I have forgotten what it is)
that causes parport to load parport_pc if no parallel ports are known.

David Campbell

PS: There is hints of an ECP driver now kicking around.
campbell at torque.net
"This is not an office, rather Hell with fluorescent lighting"