[plug] A Quote

root brad at seme.com.au
Mon Jun 21 11:17:26 WST 1999

Jamie Moir wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Bevan Broun wrote:
>
> > > You don't live in Mt Lawley do you?
> >
> > I live in highgate (close to Mt Lawley) and have had problems with
> > power. What the deal?
>
> Must be a few different grids in Highgate, Im in Highgate myself and
> really the only power hassles ive had have been during storms, one box is
> on ~65days which was some storms awhile ago
>
> Jamie
I recently cracked 220 days here on a print server, with no ups, till a good blackout.
I find that an idle linux system with not much hardware will ride out a MUCH longer
power glitch than any windows box, especialy if you have apm supported and give
halt calls while idle. Not only that, but none of my linux boxes that are not running
the distributed.net rc5 contest, really need a cpu fan, they stay very cool with just a
heatsink. (Measured under strict test conditions with a thermocouple on the heatsink).

I say :- Green Pc's use linux.