[plug] A Quote

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 21 11:36:43 WST 1999

All you people must be very lucky.

Here in Armadale, we generally have monthly power blackouts, lasting
about half an hour, upwards.

That is apart from the power going off for a few seconds, whenever a
strong wind blows.

We have had to disconnect our computers from the electricity supply,
each night for the last few nights, due to electricity supply
problems.

Radiant light globes generally last for up to a month, before blowing.

Here, we really need a UPS, if we are going to leave computers plugged
in, let alone turned on.

Perhaps, one day, Perth will make it into the twentieth century, and
put the electricity supply underground, in suburbs apart from the
suburb where the minister of electricity lives.

Bret Busby

On 6/21/99, 11:17:26 AM, root <brad at seme.com.au> wrote regarding Re:
[plug] A Quote:

> Jamie Moir wrote:

> > > I live in highgate (close to Mt Lawley) and have had problems with
> > > power. What the deal?
> >
> > Must be a few different grids in Highgate, Im in Highgate myself and
> > really the only power hassles ive had have been during storms, one box
is
> > on ~65days which was some storms awhile ago
> >
> > Jamie
> I recently cracked 220 days here on a print server, with no ups, till
a good blackout.
> I find that an idle linux system with not much hardware will ride out
a MUCH longer
> power glitch than any windows box, especialy if you have apm supported
and give
> halt calls while idle. Not only that, but none of my linux boxes that
are not running
> the distributed.net rc5 contest, really need a cpu fan, they stay very
cool with just a
> heatsink. (Measured under strict test conditions with a thermocouple
on the heatsink).