[plug] Hard Disk Performance

Bradley Browne brad at argo.net.au
Tue Jun 22 09:16:19 WST 1999

I have recently upgraded and put an additional, to the 4 GB one, 8 GB
Quantum HD in my computer.

My problem is with the start of RedHat 6.0 Linux after the initial
boot.  The computer starts okay for the first login and yet after you
reboot the time from login to when you have GNOME/Enlightenment up and
running becomes interminably long.  The hard disk will do a bit of the
little bit more and then stop ... etc. until you are at a working
screen.  The GNOME terminal program will fire up while the system is
browser, file manager and warning about being root).

I have never had this problem before and really need to fix it, you can
imagine what it is like to watch the computer load something that is
usually fast and have to wait a *long* time for it to finish.

Cheers,

Brad