[plug] Hard Disk Performance

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 22 13:25:05 WST 1999

Bradley Browne wrote:

> I have recently upgraded and put an additional, to the 4 GB one, 8 GB
> Quantum HD in my computer.
>
> My problem is with the start of RedHat 6.0 Linux after the initial
> boot.  The computer starts okay for the first login and yet after you
> reboot the time from login to when you have GNOME/Enlightenment up and
> running becomes interminably long.  The hard disk will do a bit of the
> little bit more and then stop ... etc. until you are at a working
> screen.  The GNOME terminal program will fire up while the system is
> browser, file manager and warning about being root).
>
> I have never had this problem before and really need to fix it, you can
> imagine what it is like to watch the computer load something that is
> usually fast and have to wait a *long* time for it to finish.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brad

I have noticed that there are bugs in the RH-6 distribution disk, typically
if Gnome is started and some applications run, the Gnome module becomes
non-responsive and it is only with difficulty that I get back into the
Linux Command line. I found that opting for a system startup in the command
line rather than Gnome by default helped to minimise the problem, but from
the advice offered elsewhere the upgrade module might very well cure the
problem. I would be interested to hear how you get on,

Regards,  Len Bird.