[plug] Kernel too big

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Jun 24 09:51:29 WST 1999

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Bradley Browne wrote:

> Has anyone had this problem ?

Yes, out of habit i tried to build my own kernel. Then realised that the
kernel is getting rather bloated (not like the 16MB "microkernel" NT
though :) but modules are the solution. I got it small enough, but then it
wouldnt boot.
  Then I did a rethink, and now used the standard RedHat kernel, with
modules added as needed. So I'd say, learn how modules work, and just add
the ppp module.
   Is there any good reason for linking your own kernel on a standard
PC these days?

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	f u cn rd ths, itn tyg h myxbl cd.