[plug] FileSystems and mount points

Kenworthy Family billk at opera.iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 24 15:47:17 WST 1999

Hi,
Tried partitioning and came to the conclusion (with riders) that its not worth it for
a home machine (as against a mission critical/life support machine) - reasons are:
I always ran out on one partition and ended up reformatting/reinstalling to get back
into action only to find it go the other way later on (worse problem on smallish
disks)
Advantages are disk errors are less likely to cause problems (not sure why, had one
disk that generates a few new errors each week that kept playing up until set to one
partition, errors still occurred but stopped lockups/odd program crashes - no pattern
to it - also win95 was a disaster as fat 32/windoze could not handle the regular new
errors, and took a lot more repair work before back online to have only a few days
use till the next error!)
Keeps user data further away from system areas - never have had a problem there tho.

Overall, for a home machine, use one partition and get on with it and not waste time
on trying to work around self imposed limits with small/nonexistent gains for this
use - Havant had to regret it (12 mths use with no problems/areas of concern except
4.3ghz disk is nearly full (mostly junk I think), but no more space to be had except
by house cleaning!

BillK