[plug] Kernel too big

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 25 07:55:36 WST 1999

> I  have tried to compile a kernel with ppp support for my RH 6.0 box and
> when I make zImage it says the kernel is too big, so I use bzImage and
> then LILO says that the kernel is too big.

One way to make the kernel smaller is when make ...config
(choose your favourite for ...) gives an option `m' for compile
as module, respond with `m' instead of `y'. Then ...

make zImage

ought to be ok. Alternatively, if you don't want to go back
through the config process, take John Summerfield's approach:

make bzImage

... gee, I never attempt anything like this without reading
accompanying READMEs. The README in the directory you perform
the make describes all this.

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble <gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au>