[plug] Xwindows client

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Sat Jun 26 15:10:31 WST 1999

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend some Xwindows client software that runs
> > on Win95/98?
>
> I use MiX from http://www.microimages.com.  It is OK, but it only
> supports X11R5 so there are some features missing.  GNOME applications
> won't work, and neither will Enlightenment or Window Maker so I have
> to use Fvwm95 (yuk!) as my window manager.

A decentish alternative to this would be to set up a VNC server on your
Linux box and a VNC viewer on your Windows 95 PC. That way, all the
software behaves as if it were running locally on the Linux PC.

Of course, the downside is the amount of data traffic (so don't do it on
anything less than an ethernet network connection) and the loss of
colour-depth of the screen image. It could save you some time/effort,
depending on what you need X11 on your Windows 95 PC for.

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |