[plug] Xwindows client

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Jun 26 19:30:41 WST 1999

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Peter Caffin wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> > > Can anyone recommend some Xwindows client software that runs
> > > on Win95/98?

You mean "server". One 'display server' provides a display for the client
applications. Everybody gets confused on that one.

> > to use Fvwm95 (yuk!) as my window manager.

What wrong with that? We may as well steal MS's good bits, like they stole
from Apple who stole from Xerox.

> A decentish alternative to this would be to set up a VNC server on your
> Linux box and a VNC viewer on your Windows 95 PC. That way, all the
> software behaves as if it were running locally on the Linux PC.

VNC is fantastic. If windoze crashes, or needs to reboot, your X apps are
still there.
You can also use VNC for viewing windoze apps on you Linux screen.

> Of course, the downside is the amount of data traffic (so don't do it on
> anything less than an ethernet network connection)

Ditto for the X protocol.

( And the VNC server is also an X-server. So your vnc client runs on the
PC, talking to your X-client via the X/vnc server. ... i think )

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.