[plug] setting up Linux server

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Jun 27 05:57:24 WST 1999

> > My employer wants to test a Linux server with win95 w/s, the
> > server will
> > be used purely for data storage while the w/s will be running a
> multi
> > user accounting package that uses a foxpro database,
>
> Why not use Linux for the database too?  I use and recommend
> PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org).

because PostgreSQL is a toy and not good for commercial use. Its also dead
slow.

> > as I have very
> > little experience with Linux and none with Linux - windows
> > connectivity
> > I would appreciate any advice on this type of endeavour, also any
> > reference materials you could suggest.
>
> For Windows connectivity see http://www.samba.org.  Before setting up
> the server for the first time I would get a box to test it out on, so
> that you can play around without doing any damage.  Buy your Linux CD
> from http://www.lsl.com.au or http://www.everythinglinux.com.au.  I
> recommend Debian but Red Hat is also a good choice.
>
> Read the Linux Documentation Project guides at
> http://sunsite.unc./edu/LDP.  Read the HOWTOs for what you want to do.
>  Post questions after you have done so.

I've not used (or seen) Debian, but RHL gets lots of recommendations as
better for first-time users.

Installing Linux AND Samba is pretty straight-forward. Once that's done
most of the information you will need is on the box already, though I
won't make any promises just how comprehensible it will be to you: the
quality of Linux's documentation is one of its weaker points.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield