[plug] setting up Linux server

Andrew Howell andrew at servalan.it.net.au
Sun Jun 27 13:29:48 WST 1999

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 05:57:24AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> > > My employer wants to test a Linux server with win95 w/s, the
> > > server will
> > > be used purely for data storage while the w/s will be running a
> > multi
> > > user accounting package that uses a foxpro database,
> >
> > Why not use Linux for the database too?  I use and recommend
> > PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org).
>
> because PostgreSQL is a toy and not good for commercial use. Its also dead
> slow.

A toy? I think that's pretty harsh. What exactly does it not do that you want it to?

Have you actually ever tried tuning it? It has features on by default which by turning
off can improve it's speed considerably. Also 6.5 is out now which I believe is faster too.

Andrew

--
Andrew Howell
Managing Director