[plug] Help!

Mark Saxon mark at omninet.net.au
Sun Jun 27 11:37:28 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> > I've just installed Red Hat, after a few formats >:)
> > All going well.... except I can't use my mouse :/ On the back of it, it
> > says Serial Mouse 2.1A, and it it made by microsoft
>
> In what context can't you use your mouse? Logging into a Linux console?
> Running XFree?
>
> To use it from a Linux console, you need to install gpm.

If the above is okay?
There is a known problem with microsoft mouse types 2.1A and above In RH
5.1 - 5.2 I"m not sure.
If you have no mouse control either at the console or in X windows
There are a couple of solutions the easiest of which is to switch to a
non microsoft mouse.
If you don't want to switch mouse types at the prompt run

mouseconfig --kickstart --device cuax

where x = 0 or 1 depending on whether your mouse is on

( 0 = com port 1 ) or ( 1 = com port 2 )  in  dos

This will set your mouse up to run in linux.
There are changes to the way you run gpm or configure the mouse in Xfree
but
these are the two easiest solutions. Others may know better.

Mark