[plug] setting up Linux server

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Jun 27 23:14:37 WST 1999

> > > multi
> > >
> > > Why not use Linux for the database too?  I use and recommend
> > > PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org).
> >
> > because PostgreSQL is a toy and not good for commercial use. Its also dead
> > slow.
>
> A toy? I think that's pretty harsh. What exactly does it not do that you want
>  it to?
Perform. It's slow as a one-legged dog
Transaction logging
Relational integrity.
So far as I can see, it allows rows added to a table to be accessed by
other applications before the transaction adding the rows has been
committed.

> Have you actually ever tried tuning it? It has features on by default which b
> y turning
> off can improve it's speed considerably. Also 6.5 is out now which I believe
> is faster too.

I have it here PostgreSQL and I speak from experience.

The version I have is 6.3. I'm more likely to use developers versions of
DB2 or Oracle. Or ADABAS.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield