Fw: [plug] Hard Drives

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Jun 29 01:48:32 WST 1999

> On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:
>
> > An alternative that I use, is to use loadlin and boot Linux from "DOS".
>
> I'm amazed there aren't more people using this :)
>
> Especially when the reason for Windows is because you have other family
> members that use the computer, a config.sys menu is a much nicer interface
> for them than making them type "win" at the LILO prompt.

Takes longer to get there.

I have a machine that boots OS/2 (two versions), NT 4 and Linux. OS/2's
bootmanager is definitely the way to go: an almost instantaneous boot -
bootmanager lives in about 1 Mb of disk space, there'sa menu AND a default
which (like lilo) has an option to automatically boot something if the
operator's asleep.

I also have a box that runs Linux (including XFree) and Windows 95. Its
HDD is about 400 Mb. Linux boots from a floppy, Windows from the HDD.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield