[plug] Red Hat 6 (?)

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 29 13:19:22 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 6/29/99, 12:51:18 PM, "Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima"
<tony at cantech.net.au> wrote regarding Re: [plug] Red Hat 6 (?):

> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Bret Busby wrote:

> > With all the problems that have been raised with RH 6, is it worth the
> > upgrade (apart from for the guru's, who get into the systems
> > programming, and get their hands dirty)?

> ... Ahhh that is the million dollar question.  So far the 2 main apps.
that
> fail under Redhat 6.0 (both because of incompatabilities (sp?) with
glibc 2.1)
> are StafOffice5 and Quake3 ... According the the RedHat site
StarOffice 5.1 is
> entirely compatable with this new libc :) ... According to the
newsgroups
> Quake3 will work under 6.0 it just needs some tweaking.

> >From many of you posts you are somewhat of a StarOffice user and
you'd like to
> stay that way :)

Yes, I am currently using Star Office 5.1, which we got at the same
time as RH 6, and it seems to work okay (apart from the slowness),
apart from the browser going wonky, and not working anymore. That is,
with RH 5.2. Leon said that it works okay with RH 6, as well, without
needing patching.