[plug] Red Hat 6 (?)

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Tue Jun 29 20:52:04 WST 1999

Bret Busby wrote:

> We have a copy of RH 6, but have not yet installed it.

> What are the benefits of the upgrade?

G'day Bret. I've got 6.0 running here and now at work (as of Saturday)
mostly without drama. I did try doing an upgrade (my first) on the home
box some weeks ago but found a few holes in the install. I'm not
prepared to say this was a fault of the distro as I hadn't done an
upgrade before and also had very little time to troubleshoot - serves me
right for doing while I should have been working on that C programming
assignment for Uni!

I ended up taking that back to 5.2 for quick use and then trying again
with an install rather than an upgrade. That worked a treat. Other than
the problem with X that I reported on the w/end, everything is going
fine. The box at work was also a fresh install rather than an upgrade
and for a server that has production uses, it's ticking nicely.

I'd suggest fresh install considering the changes that have been made
with 6.0 unless you have time to play.

Damion.