[plug] net upgrade to 6.0/runsocks

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Jun 30 10:52:08 WST 1999

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Kenworthy Family wrote:

> Has anyone been able to upgrade to RH6.0 from RH5.2 via the iinet mirror
> using a network upgrade.

ALL the packages have changed, if only to recompile, so you are looking
at maybe hundreds of megabytes, and _days_ of download on a modem.

> or is it better to wipe the disk and start again via cd (needs a clean
> out anyway).  I have quite a few months worth of add-ons that I will
> have to reinstall but am a bit wary of upgrade versus reinstall.

Keep your /home and /usr/local partitions!
Or copy/backup /usr/local if its not a separate partiton. Then all your
add-ons should continue to work. The RH6 install includes old libraries
for binary compatibility with your old add-ons.
  And of course, keep a copy of /etc for all your configs.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	"Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies,
	 Statistics, Benchmarks, and Delivery dates."