[plug] netscape fonts too small on linux

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Jun 30 15:12:12 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get correct font sizes from Netscape, for
> pages that dont use the default size?
>   I'm using 4.51 now, but have had the same problem in other versions -
> when the font is set in a web page, it comes out too small under Linux.
>
> e.g. RedHat pages set
>  <FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial,Helvetia,Sans-Serif" SIZE="2">
>
> which looks quite small under Linux, but OK under windoze NS or ms-ie.
> I tried setting the X-server to 100dpi, but no change.
>
> On the 'view' menu, 'increase font' and 'decrease font' are disabled.
> Is all this the same for everybody?

Yeah, these appear to be like "Undo" option in Netscape Mail: only there
to make you think that maybe the functionality exists when in fact the
option is never enabled.

As for the fonts issue, if you go to Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance
-> Fonts you can set the size for the fonts used in the pages.  Just
increase these values until it looks ok and it should help.  I'm not
sure if this is the exact same problem as the one I had running Netscape
on a Solaris box where the default font for a lot of pages just wouldn't
display - that's how small it was!  After making the font size really
huge I finally was able to make the text readable.

Hope this helps,

Christian.

--
Every day it's the same thing -- variety.  I want something different.