[plug] Uni. questions

Oliver White ojw at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 2 23:44:42 WST 1999

(sorry for the afterthought)

Now all we have to do is convince them to let us set up a beowulf
cluster. Not as hard as you think, boot from NFS and the computers
with reassimilate themselves when put back into windows. That way you
could add/remove nodes as the the classrooms cleared/filled. I was
actualy discussing this on irc.linux.org.au last night; the big
question of course is 'what the hell are you going to run on it'.
Perhaps Arshad Omari (the Multimedia guy) would be interested... or
else some physics post-grads....

Things to ponder, I suppose.

PS. Pity we still have to use linux using terminals in windows,
another reason to allow NFS boots.

PPS. There are actualy several units that could be run on linux boxes.
Ada (three units of that, the bastards), Java, Unix and C, Oracle (4
units of that), C++. That's a fair chunk or the curriculae (I actualy
can't think of any other units that require actual computer usage
appart from word processing in my course), no reason whatsoever not to
install linux really. Time to bug Jim Miller I think.

PPPS. Really I know bugger all about NFS boots, scuse any technical
boo boos I just made.