[plug] Problem with NE2000 card using thin coax.

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Wed Mar 3 07:32:27 WST 1999

Date sent:      	Tue, 02 Mar 1999 23:57:10 +0800
From:           	David Buddrige <buddrige at q-net.net.au>
To:             	Bob Ogden <bob at contact.omen.com.au>, plug at linux.org.au
Subject:        	Re: [plug] Problem with NE2000 card using thin coax.
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

*snip*

> Now, we had a couple 'o ne2000 cards - we installed one which was plug 'n
> pray - but our prayers remained unanswered.  We installed another (older
> card), and were able to get it talking to redhat.

At this point, fire up ping in one virtual console pointed at the
other machine. Most network cards these days have an activity light,
providing everything is connected up correctly you should see the
light "blip" on every card on the network.

Secondly, using "ifconfig" command you can look at the network device
counters and see whether the packet is making it out onto the network
cable or is being mauled somewhere.

Also check your terminators, I bought some from Dick Smith to only
find they were junk (twisting the metal end cap made them work/fail,
extremely touchy). Went for another source and worked perfectly.

Hopefully this may shed some light on the problem.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.
(also check http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/)
Current project list:
a) Catch up on the ZIP Plus backlog (drive back from waranty)
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)
c) sleep
d) real life