[plug] naive question: what is squid?

Tamara Thompson THOMPSON at gate.sunquest.com
Thu Mar 4 00:46:39 WST 1999

Oh, thank you, yes that helps.  Where can I get it, or if I stumble into it on my new RH 5.2, can I just run it?  I know, read the man pages.  <smile>
Thanks again!

ciao,
Tamara

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Tamara Thompson wrote:

> I haven't seen it defined on any of the Linux pages ...so far.
>
> I'll trade you a funny for an answer in english:

Its a proxy cache. In even more english, its a deamon that runs on an
internet server that intercepts all web page requests fron a user and if
the page isn't contained locally (in the cache) it then goes and retrieves
it for the user. In general its used to speed up internet connections
while cutting down on usage, it also helps with security, because from the
outside of the network it looks as though the proxy server (squid)
requested the page rather than the person who actually did.

Does that help??
Peter

| Windows has detected that the mouse has moved, please reboot for |
| this change to take effect                                       |
Peter Robinson
ribbo at iinet.net.au
http://www.iinet.net.au/~ribbo/