[plug] Differences between gated and routed.

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Mar 9 17:45:26 WST 1999

Michael Hunt wrote:

> Hiya all,
>
> I know this question might sound simple but I am just trying to get my head
> around routed and gated and what the differences between the two are. From
> what I understand (of the info I have3 read) gated is newer with more
> support for routing protocols. Does this necessarily make it the best for a
> home dialup proxy running IPmasq. ?  Is it even needed in this situation ?
> And could certain protocols supported by gated be causing diald to bring the
> link up ?
>
> Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm rather uneducated when it comes to routing but here's my
understanding (and I'm only giving this because I haven't seen anyone
else reply to your email - I'm sure there are numerous people on this
list far more qualified than me to give a more comprehensive answer).

routed does RIP (Routing Information Protocol - an interior routing
protocol for use within an autonomous system) whereas gated does various
different routing protocols such as RIP, Hello, BGP and EGP (maybe
others?) and combines the information it collects from these.  I won't
try and say anything more about these protocols since a) I really have
only an elementary understanding of how they work and b) to answer your
second question, I really don't think you would need to have any sort of
sophisticated routing set up for a small home network.

Assuming you've just got a small, simple LAN (not subnetted etc.) then
you just need to set the routing table on each machine so that they have
a network route to the network and their default gateway is to your box
doing ipmasq.  In Linux this is just a matter of configuring
/etc/init.d/network (in Debian, I think the RH place is something like
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network) with the appropriate values.  In Windows the
network route I think is automatically added for you and you can set the
default gateway in the Network section under Control Panel.

I hope this helps and if you need more information then I'm sure
there'll be some other people on this list who can help you much more
than I can. :)

Regards,

Christian.