[plug] RH, RPM, and Drivespace

Richard Wiffen rjwiffen at inf.net.au
Wed Mar 10 00:42:05 WST 1999

Couple of quick questions...

I picked up the APC Pocketbook version of RH 5.2 the other day, and I'm
getting prepared to wipe out my old (circa 1996) Slackware installation.

Has anyone else had any trouble with the APC Pocketbook?  I gather from APC's
website that it's pretty reliable.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that rpm/glint is able to handle
tarballs.  I know how to uncompress and compile/make and so forth, but my
current system is an absolute mess (I never worked out how to use pkgtool),
and I'd like to know if rpm can actually handle tarballs as well as it's own
RPM format.  If not, is there some way to manage tarballs?  Oh, and I assume
rpm/glint is run as root?  The Pocketbook is a bit unclear on some things.

The other big thing I wanted to know is, can RH mount a Drivespace compressed
W95 partition for reading and writing?  If not, I'll set up two partitions for
that, for exchanging files...

I think that's about it for now.  :)  Thanks!

If nothing else, this whole process has forced me to make backups!

- Richard

mpile and so forth, but my current
system is an absolute mess (I never worked out how to use pkgtool), and I'd
like to know if rpm can actually handle tarballs as well as it's own RPM
format.  Oh, and I assume rpm/glint is run as root?