[plug] UPS's with Linux support

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 10 18:03:24 WST 1999

>Have you got a serial breakout box?  You might find the UPS is changing a
>handshaking line, or it may be sending data.  Or it may do nothing at all
>until the PC sends it a startup instruction.  In the last case, connect the
>DOS/Win software PC to another machine running a terminal program and watch
>what comes into the terminal.

Sadly not, my breakout box died more years ago than I care to remember.

OTOH, statserial does a similar job on Linux, and it showed nothing -- but I
suppose if the UPS is being particularly unpleasant, it would be toggling
one of the lines very quickly (statserial cycles every second). Quite why it
would do this, is another question of course.

Paul