[plug] UPS's with Linux support

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 10 18:06:08 WST 1999

>Have you got a serial breakout box?  You might find the UPS is changing a
>handshaking line, or it may be sending data.  Or it may do nothing at all
>until the PC sends it a startup instruction.  In the last case, connect the
>DOS/Win software PC to another machine running a terminal program and watch
>what comes into the terminal.

Sadly not, my breakout box died more years ago than I care to remember.

OTOH, statserial does pretty much the same job under Linux, and it showed no
change. I suppose if the UPS was being particularly unpleasant it could be
changing one of the lines faster than statserial was able to show (it cycles
once a second). Quite why it would do this is, of course, another question.

Paul