[plug] Slink in a Blink

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 10 17:06:20 WST 1999

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 04:50:35PM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
[...]
> for installing a new machine, I would boot off the hamm cd, install the
> base system from CD, download and install apt from my local ftp server,
> then point apt at the slink dir on ftp.uwa.edu.au and install the rest
[...]

apt is actually on the hamm CDs (well the official release ones anyway),
so I get it off that - but otherwise I do much the same.

As a general guideline, don't get caught up looking at and choosing
between all the weird and wonderful packages at install time. Installing
things later is so smooth that you can afford to do it on a whim at any
later time.  Even over a modem - it just takes a little longer... <grin>

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal