[plug] Slink in a Blink

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 10 18:16:36 WST 1999

Matt Kemner wrote:

> Now go and install "apt" and be amazed at how easy it is to install new
> packages.
> (eg. "apt-get install x11ampg" is all you need to install the latest
> version of x11amp - it will ftp it and install it, and all the libraries
> it depends on, for you.)

Yep, I dabbled with apt a while ago. I think I was trying to get the KDE
packages at the time. Is it more than a redesigned dpkg/dselect??

> > So much for downloading the ISO and burning it. I'm just wondering if this IS
> > the whole 2.1 dist;
>
> It is, and is the way I (and probably most Debian users on this list) have
> been running slink or potato for a while now.. I got to the stage where
> for installing a new machine, I would boot off the hamm cd, install the
> base system from CD, download and install apt from my local ftp server,
> then point apt at the slink dir on ftp.uwa.edu.au and install the rest
> through that.

Yeah, that's how I do most of my installs. Takes a while over Modem, though, so
I like as new a CD as I can for the initial install. ^_^

I'm one of these people who likes efficient things, and that's one of the
reasons I like Debian; I tell it what to do and how to do it, and it's fairly
self-sustaining after that.
That's another reason I'm all for new GUI's. I like the command line stuff, but
if a GUI can do it more efficiently (which windoze CAN for most of the stuff I
do at work), I'll use it!

> > time to try that new Kernel I think. ^_^
>
> You'll be amazed by the speed increase between 2.0 and 2.[12]
> (I was)

I hope so! Am looking forward to it.

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :