[plug] problem with routing??

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Thu Mar 11 00:33:57 WST 1999

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, average wrote:
> i have been trying to setup a network between my linux box and a win95
> the cards are setup properly on both and on each i can ping the localhost as
> well as the machine name/ipaddress but when i try to ping the other machine
> nadda not a thing
> the network is over a twisted pair through a hp hub

> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
> zeus.tulku.net  *               255.255.255.255 UH     1500 0          0 eth0
> 192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0 eth0
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:0F:D4:CA
>           inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:1043 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0

Well, all seems to be in order, but the ping packets seem to get lost once
they leave your machine. If you look at the pretty lights on the hub, and
on the other machinne's network card, you should be able to tell how far
the packet is gettiing. To be on the safe side, always ping by IP number,
not hostname.
Then try pinging from the other machine, (just run ping from a DoS window)
and look at the lights that display that way. Also check whether your RX:
count (packets received on the interface) goes up.
If things still aren't making sense to you, mail the diagnostic info back
to the list.
As a last resort, it might be worthwhile putting both cards in the linux
machine and seeing whether you can ping yourself that way.
Of course, detecting two network cards can be difficult for the
inexperienced.
Good luck with your everything,

-Greg Mildenhall