[plug] Attempting to install redhat 5.2 over network

Steve Baker bakes at corona.iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 11 07:08:43 WST 1999

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, David Buddrige wrote:

> Hi Rob (and others)... 8-)
>
> I'm at home, trying to get this machine installed with Linux... I gave
> up trying to use SMB - basically it got to the install stage where it
> requests the second supplementary disk.  I insert disk created from the
> supp.img file, and press ok.
>
> It then says "failed to mount /dev/fd0. and won't go any further than
> that... 8-(
>
> I'm now trying to set it up using FTP (from my home-linux machine to the
> new system - but am having similar problem...
>
> Has anyone got any ideas?

You probably don't have an FTP server running on your NT system - if it's
NT Workstation, then I'm pretty sure that's it.  Look around the net
for a free one - I think there is an NT version of wu-ftpd somewhere.

Alternatively, take the CD-ROM out of the NT box and put it into the
Linux box.  Or buy a new CD-ROM (around $90).

Steve Baker,  aka  bakes at corona.iinet.net.au
Open your mind, then check out http://www.peg.apc.org/~nexus
No-one can tell you exactly what you have gotta be -- Jimmy Barnes