[plug] RH, RPM, and Drivespace

Richard Wiffen rjwiffen at inf.net.au
Fri Mar 12 11:46:29 WST 1999

Well, I looked around, and I've just answered my own questions...

> I'd like to know if rpm can actually handle tarballs as well as it's
> own RPM format.  If not, is there some way to manage tarballs?

It appears as though there's a utility called Alien
(http://kitenet.net/programs/alien) which will convert between .tgz and .rpm,
and a few others.

> The other big thing I wanted to know is, can RH mount a Drivespace
> compressed W95 partition for reading and writing?

And I found a filesystem called DmsDOS at Linuxberg, which will handle just
about any compressed Windoze/DOS partition, read AND write.

Just thought I'd report my findings.  :)

- Richard